- DTIS update
- WTO accession
With EIF's support Lao PDR has developed a Trade and Private Sector Development Roadmap, which has served as the main instrument for their Aid for Trade harmonization, resource mobilization, and coordination efforts. Within the framework of the implementation of the EIF, Lao PDR has successfully leveraged trade‑related priorities, including a total of 16 projects totalling US$68 million. The analytical work has been used to enhance Lao PDR’s diversification of exports into sectors with high social impacts in order to ensure that trade has a positive impact on improving the livelihoods of the poor. As a result, donors have been supporting Lao PDR’s trade goals through a multi-donor trust fund, the Trade Development Facility.
Institutional capacity-building project
- End date
The objective of the project is to enhance Lao PDR’s national capacity to formulate, implement, manage, and monitor a pro-poor trade policy that is consistent with the country’s National Socio‐Economic Development Plan (NSEDP).
- A Capacity Needs Assessment and Skills Development Action Plan was completed in April 2015 after data collection sessions were held in the 12 departments of the Department of Industry and Commerce of the Ministry of Industry and Commerce (MoIC). The assessment has identified the training priority levels for the staff and the most needed training topics.
- Lao PDR hosted a study visit from Bhutanese officials in January 2015 who wanted to learn about Lao PDR's Trade and Private Sector Development Roadmap in order to realize their own potential EIF Tier 2 projects. Hosting the Bhutanese delegation was an important way for Lao PDR to demonstrate the capacity that has been built through the EIF.
- 45 participants, including NIU technicians, participated in a workshop on investment climate assessment presented by the World Bank in 2014.
- A meeting was held in January 2015 to discuss more effective ways to increase coordination following a comprehensive review of the overall Aid for Trade governance structure, including the Sector Working Group (SWG); the Project Executive Committee (PEC); and the Project Review Committee (PRC).
- The PRC held its first meeting in August 2015 with 85 participants. The Chair and Co-chair requested relevant IAs to revise their work plans to include re-prioritization of activities, especially workshops and study visits.
- The draft of the Development Trade and Industry Development Plan (5-year plan) for the 8th National Socio-Economic Development Plan has been prepared and will be finalized in early 2016. This strategy will contain clear development goals and detailed interventions.
- The Trade and Private Sector Working Group met in June and October 2015, and EIF National Implementation Unit (NIU)-IA meetings were held quarterly in 2015.
- 53 people participated in a 4-day NIU fiduciary workshop in July 2015. The objectives of the meeting were to enhance staffs’ understanding on basic principles of financial and procurement management regulations as well as to exchange lessons learnt.
- In 2015 meetings were held with development partners including UKAID, UNCTAD and KOICA with the goal of securing additional resources for DTIS Action Matrix priorities.
- A new communications strategy was prepared by an international consultant outlining how to increase NIU visibility, promote trade mainstreaming, and transfer knowledge. Following the completion of the strategy, communications officers from the MoIC and IAs in other ministries participated in a workshop.
Trade Development/Sector Support: Strengthening National Quality Infrastructure and Industrial Statistics in Lao PDR
- End date
The National Quality Infrastructure component assists Lao PDR in building the national standardization system, developing a national metrology system to ensure the uniformity and traceability of measurements, building technical infrastructure for accreditation; achieving mutual recognition of accreditation and certification results, and creating private sector awareness of the importance and benefits of implementing international quality standards.
The industrial statistics component will be useful for researchers, analysts, observers, policy makers, development planners, potential investors, and business persons dealing with industrial development in Lao PDR. Manufacturers will also benefit greatly from reliable statistical information.
National Quality Infrastructure
- 50 people from line ministries, government agencies, industry and the Department of Standardization and Metrology (DSM) participated in a training course in Vientiane in October 2015 focusing on the international requirements for standardization and the role of the National Standards Council in the development of standards.
- The procurement and calibration of lab equipment for the Metrology Center began in 2015.
- 48 participants in the Xiengkhounag province attended a training on internal audit to ensure that the labs are conformant to international standards.
- 25 people who would be assigned by the DSM as Assessors of Accreditation participated in the following courses: Internal Calibration Course (2 days), Uncertainty Calibration Course (2 days), Lead Assessor Course (5 days).
- 169 participants learned the role and importance of standardization and metrology during three workshops in Xaysomboon province, Sekong province and Xiengkhouang province in 2015.
- 5 people have been appointed to the Lao Quality Center , whose work is to establish the conformance of products or services against specifications, regulations, performance requirements, and the like.
- 11 delegates from the DSM participated in a study visit to Thailand in May 2015. The Lao PDR Delegation had an opportunity to learn about Personnel Development on Laboratory Accreditation and Standards, and observe the practices of the National Institute of Metrology (Thailand).
- All the equipment for the Vientiane and provincial statistical offices of the Department of Industry and Handicrafts (DoIH), Ministry of Industry and Commerce, were procured. This will support the capacity building of the country in hardware for industrial statistics.
- 10 participants went on a study tour to Thailand to learn from industrial statisticians about their practices and experiences.
- Training provided to provincial statisticians both in May 2015 on input data system design with tabulation with MS for DoIH statisticians.
- 40 participants (DoIH teams and provincial statisticians) participated in a two‑day training in June 2015 covering basic statistics, industrial statistics, and industrial index field enumeration, data collection and data input.
Lao PDR Diagnostic Trade Integration Study: Building Export Competitiveness in Laos 2006English
Aide-Mémoire - follow-up missionEnglish
Aide-Mémoire Main MissionEnglish
Lao PDR DTIS Action Matrix 2006English
Building Export Competitiveness in Laos: Summary ReportEnglish
Building Export Competitiveness in Laos: Background ReportEnglish
Lao Trade Magazine January 2011English
Lao PDR DTIS Update 2012: Trade and Private Sector Development RoadmapEnglish
Lao PDR country profileEnglish French Portugese
EIF LDCs Photo Competition AlbumEnglish
2013 EIF CalendarEnglish French Portugese
EIF Calendar 2014English French Portugese
Country Case Studies - EIF TFM ReviewEnglish
Lao PDR Trading StoriesEnglish
Lao PDR Annual Progress Report 2013English
EIF Calendar 2015: THE EIF AND POST - 2015English French Portugese
EIF Trade Impact StoriesEnglish
Lao PDR DTISU 2012
Trade Officer National Implementation Unit Department of Planning and Cooperation Ministry of Industry and Commerce Vientiane
M&E Officer National Implementation Unit Department of Planning and Cooperation Ministry of Industry and Commerce Vientiane
Deputy Director Department of Planning and Cooperation, and EIF Focal Point Ministry of Industry and Commerce
Donor Facilitator, Delegation of the European Union to Lao PDR
Deputy Director Division Ministry of Industry and Commerce, Department of Planning and Cooperation, Development Planning Division
Head of Cooperation - Delegation of the European Union to Lao PDR
Programme Officer Trade & Economics - Delegation of the European Union to Lao PDR
International Project Coordinator - UN Trade Cluster Project
Procurement Officer Ministry of Industry and Commerce
Deputy Director of Foreign Aid Division - Ministry of Industry and Commerce
International Project Operations Advisor - Ministry of Industry and Commerce
Trade Analyst - Ministry of Industry and Commerce
Director of Division Planning Department - Ministry of Planning and Investment
National Financial Specialist - Department of Planning and Cooperation - Ministry of Industry and Commerce
Matthew B. Younger
Political-Economic Officer, Commercial Officer - Embassy of the United States of America
Programme Specialist in Poverty Reduction and Development Effectiveness/ Acting Head of Poverty Reduction Unit - UNDP
Senior Technical Adviser Ministry of Planning & Investment - Department of Planning - UNDP
Programme analyst Poverty Reduction Unit - UNDP
Trade Analyst - ministry of Industry and Commerce
Director of Foreign Aid Division - Ministry of Industry and Commerce
International Project Coordinator - Department of Trade Promotion and Product Development - UNOPS
PSD Advisor Ministry of Industry and Commerce
Director General Ministry of Industry and Commerce
Head of Cooperation Delegation of the European Union to Laos
Trade Analyst - The World Bank
Country Manager - The World Bank
Director General Department of Intellectual Property Department - Ministry of Science and Technology
Deputy Director General Department of Standardization and Metrology - Ministry of Science and Technology
Director of Industrial Environment and Chemistry Division - Ministry of Industry and Commerce
Director General Department Standardization & Metrology - Ministry of Science and Technology
Director General Trade and Product Promotion Department - Ministry of Industry and Commerce
Vice Minister of Planning and Investment
Director General Department of Planning and Cooperation - Ministry of Science and Technology
Deputy director General Foreign Trade Policy Department - Ministry of Industry and Commerce
Programme Officer Delegation of the European Union to Laos
Director General Department of Industry and Handicrafts - Ministry of Industry and Commerce
Deputy Director General Department of Industry and Handicrafts - Ministry of Industry and Commerce
Director Products Standard Division - Department of Industry & Handicraft - Ministry of Industry & Commerce
Director of Quality Management Center - Department of Standardization and Metrology - Ministry of Science and Technology
Trade Specialist - The World Bank
Deputy Director General Department of Industry and Handicrafts - Ministry of Industry and Commerce
Deputy Director General - NSEDP Project Manager - Ministry of Planning and Investment Planning Department
Investment Promotion Advisor - Sustainable Economic Development - GIZ
Head of UNIDO Operations, Lao PDR
Programme Director - Sustainable Economic Development
Project Manager - Supporting Laos' Integration into Regional Markets
Adviser of Lao National chamber of Commerce and Industry
Programme Officer - Delegation of the European Union to Laos
Charge d'Affairess - Delegation of the European Union to Laos
General Manager - Poysian Bulgogee Restaurant