- DTIS update
- WTO accession
With the support of the EIF, Mali has embedded trade and sectoral strategies into its current Growth and Poverty Reduction Strategy. Providing targeted support in key sectors has been essential for strengthening the institutional and technical capacities of producers and exporters to play a more active role in the commercialization of their products. Specific sessions have been held with a strong emphasis on quality standards and women’s economic development.
Institutional capacity-building project
- End date
The aim of the project is to support the development of agricultural value chains (shea almond, gum arabic, mango and livestock). Private sector capacities are strengthened through training, support for the improvement of quality of goods and equipment acquisition. These activities are carried out in partnership with industry associations.
- The EIF supports the UTRAFRUY fruit processing unit, which produced 5659 pots of mango jam (220 grams each) and 1517 pots of mango compote in 2015.
- UTRAFRUY participated in the Milan 2015 Expo and the Dakar International Fair.
- Its promotional sales of mango jam at these fairs totaled approximately US$3,778.
- UTRAFRUY also received the ISLO 22000 certification (food safety management) and 16 women from the cooperative were trained on quality hygiene.
- Equipment was provided to actors in the mango value chain, including 200 spray bottles, 1,500 pulverisers and 1,000 productive suits.
- 200 actors involved in the mango value chain were trained on good agricultural practices and phytosanitary treatment techniques for mango orchards.
- Support to the mango value chain contributed to the increase of both fresh and processed mango exports, which totaled to approximately US$22 million in 2015.
- 116 women were trained in techniques to improve the quality of shea almonds in the region of Ségou.
- Provided 3 weight cranes, rented a storage area for livestock feed and developed a study on the livestock value chain to support actors in this sector.
Trade Development/Sector Support: Renforcement des capacites productives et commerciales de la filière gomme arabique
- End date
The project is working to reduce poverty by increasing the revenue of producers, collectors and exporters. The project is centered in six regions, including some of the most vulnerable provinces of Mali. It is also part of regional efforts to create a “Great Green Wall of Africa” with the goal of halting the advance of the Sahara desert. This is significant for Mali because over 60% of Mali’s total surface area is already either arid or semi-arid.
- 177 gum arabic cooperatives have now been established at the local level, and 19 unions of gum arabic cooperatives have been established at the district level.
- 13 sites for gum arabic production have been identified, with geophysical studies having been carried out in 8 of the sites.
- 3 tons of Senegalese acacia seed have been acquired, which is enough to plant 10,000 hectares.
- 82 representatives from gum arabic producers, NGO partners and the forestry sector were trained in 10 workshops. They will now be responsible for training in the 13 districts covered by the project.
- A forestry expert developed a training guide, modules and guidelines for training participants covering gum arabic producing techniques.
- The participation of the National Implementation Unit resulted in the announcement of the creation of three Centers for Trade and Integrated Development, which will receive financial support from the KIP International School.
Window II Project BriefEnglish
Rapport de Synthèse de l'Atelier National de Validation de l'EDICEnglish
Mali Matrice d'Action / Action Matrix 2004English French
Mali Etude Diagnostique sur l'Intégration du Commerce (EDIC) / DTIS 2004English French
Growth and Poverty Reduction Strategic Framework (GPRSF) (2007 to 2011)English
Mali Country ProfileEnglish French Portugese
EIF LDCs Photo Competition AlbumEnglish
2013 EIF CalendarEnglish French Portugese
EIF Calendar 2014English French Portugese
Mali gum arabic project press clippingsFrench
Mali Annual Progress Report 2013English
EIF Calendar 2015: THE EIF AND POST - 2015English French Portugese
Mali: La Matrice D'action l'EDIC 2015French
Mali EDIC / DTIS 2015French
EIF Trade Impact StoriesEnglish
EIF: Supporting the Development of Small Enterprises and their Markets through Trade in MaliEnglish
EIF Public Forum Gender sessionEnglish French
Mali DTISU 2015
Coordinateur national UNMOCIR Ministère du Commerce Bamako
Issoufi Halassi Maiga
Chargé du Suivi des Projets et de renforcement des capacités commerciales UNMOCIR Ministère du Commerce Bamako
Chargé de Politique commerciale UNMOCIR Ministère du Commerce Bamako
Bocar Dit Siré BA
Donor Facilitator, Embassy of Denmark
EIF Focal Point