- DTIS update
- WTO accession
Working with development partners and local stakeholders, the EIF has supported Niger in effectively mainstreaming trade into the Plan for Economic and Social Development and into the overarching Strategy for Sustainable Development and Inclusive Growth. In addition, trade has been incorporated into the sectoral strategies for tourism, agriculture and mining. Targeted support in the hides and skins sector has been essential for strengthening the institutional and technical capacities of producers and exporters to play a more active role in the commercialization of their products.
Institutional capacity-building project
- End date
The project aims to reinforce the institutional implementation by the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Promotion of Young Entrepreneurs. The project also aims to develop capacities for formulation and integration of trade‑related policies into the national development programmes and to facilitate regional and international integration of trade.
- 45 entrepreneurs (bakers, butchers, women agricultural processors and restaurateurs) were trained on hygiene and quality standards.
- 40 women entrepreneurs from Niger’s eight regions were trained on cross‑border trade and trade facilitation in Zinder.
- Members of the EIF National Steering Committee participated in training about various WTO‑related topics.
- The EIF National Implementation Unit is working to promote trade in national sectoral strategies, including livestock, professional development, employment and agriculture.
Trade Development/Sector Support: Développement de la filière cuirs et peaux
- End date
The purpose of the project is to improve the competitiveness of the hides and skins sector by strengthening the capacity of actors involved in the value chain across Niger’s eight regions.
- Developed educational materials on topics including livestock branding, skinning techniques, conservation techniques for hides and skins and tanning processes.
- 5 abattoirs have been equipped with proper skinning materials.
- 120 hide and skin collectors and 40 livestock agents responsible for the cattle market were trained in conservation and strong techniques for skin and hides.
- 40 women were trained in leatherwork, and 4 women’s organizations were equipped with leatherworking materials.
- 4 tanneries were equipped with tanning products and materials.
- 16 women artisans participated in the Craft Trade Fair for Women (Salon de l’Artisanat pour la Femme) in Niamey.
- 10 hide professionals participated in a study tour to Morocco.
- Developed the Good Practices Guide for Skins and Hides to be disseminated in 2016.
- A trade mission was undertaken to Tunisia. A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) was signed with the Assabsseb Tannery which will provide technical support to the modern tanneries of Niger. Another MOU was signed with Delta Cuirs, who will help install a shoe factory in Niger.
Aide-Mémoire Main Mission / Mission PrincipaleEnglish
Aide-Mémoire - Preparatory Mission / Mission PréparatoireEnglish
Niger: Etude Diagnostique sur l'Intégration du Commerce (EDIC) / Diagnostic Trade Integration Study (DTIS) 2008English French
Niger Poverty Reduction Strategy Paper (PRSP) 1 2008-2012English
Niger Poverty Reduction Strategy Paper (PRSP) 2 2012-2015English
Niger Annual Progress Report 2013English
EIF Calendar 2015: THE EIF AND POST - 2015English French Portugese
Etude Diagnostique sur l’Intégration du Commerce au Niger 2015French
Niger DTISU 2015
Secrétaire général Secrétariat général Ministère du Commerce et de la Promotion du Secteur Privé Niamey
Chef de Projet Projet de CAT II de l’UMOCIR Commerce et Promotion du Secteur Privé Niamey
Juan José VILLA CHACÓN
EIF Donor Facilitator, Delegation of the European Union to the Republic of Niger